Tuesday, February 22, 2011

More than B.I. ?

I have always been more of a strategic thinker. Of course the day job had to be more on intermediate, tactically focused projects, for quick gains, because that's where the money is, and one has to live.

Now as I've had the luxury to take some time off, to distance myself from the daily stress, I gained some interesting perspective.

As I have been catching up with the overall social media / networking phenomenon, and realized how mainstream it has become, it hit me how we are on to something far bigger than "business intelligence", "customer intelligence", or "operational intelligence".

Some of the real-time visualizations of the political trends in North Africa made me realize that we are on the way to Global Intelligence, more real-time than we ever managed to do on the comparatively measly scope of just business.

It is my firm conviction that traditional Business Intelligence, Analytics, Data Warehousing, as we know it, is going to be displaced by this new way of measuring, monitoring, understanding, judging, concluding, that I shall dub for now "global intelligence" (uh oh, sounds so clandestine, doesn't it ;-)

I'm sure someone out there has already another term for it. But hey, the telephone was also invented by different  people around the same time without them knowing of each other.

I am pondering whether I should re-brand my blog to cover the bigger phenomenon. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment